Sad News

My mom passed away very recently. I would like to share with you the eulogy l wrote for her because
she is so much a part of me. It has been a hard week even though family and friends have been so supportive.

Eulogy My Mom Esther Dimentberg
July 6, 1931-Sept. 21, 2018

Let me start by saying that I am very lucky to have had a mom like our family had. She lived a long life which was not always an easy life but she always taught me to persevere through tough times.

My mother was a gentle, kind-hearted woman, always putting others before herself. She told me that she’d rather give than receive. Many times, she insisted on  paying the bill or giving gifts to everyone she could think of. Mom cared for the misfortunate, volunteered and became president of the Menorah chapter of the B’nai Brith women. She gave good advice and got good counsel from her friends. My mother Esther loved to play games and entertain guests until recently, when her health issues got in the way. As a child, I remember how she loved children. The neighbourhood children loved playing at our house throughout winter and summer.

Mom was a model mother, grandmother and human being. She could have been satisfied to stay at home with the kids as we grew up but she decided to go back to school, to University (Sir George Williams at the time). My mother studied accountancy and became a bookkeeper. Later on, she was a successful administrator of the Ritz ll condominium.

As an adult, I appreciated the trips we took together to Santa Fe, New Mexico and to Italy.  My mom encouraged me to pursue my artistic and creative side. She put me in ballet and piano lessons, she also took me to see the MSO, the Nutcracker and plays in New York City. She sent her children to Jewish summer camps and inspired us to acquire traditional Jewish values, without forcing them upon us.

As l said before, my mother’s life wasn’t easy. It was a struggle until she met her husband. She knew the value of hard work and instilled that in me. She told me stories of the difficult jobs she had as a child, such as working in upholstery and in a factory to help support her family who lived in poverty.

Throughout the years, I’m so glad we just kept getting closer and closer and that I spent vacations with her, having fun times and getting to know her. She will truly be missed by so many.

My mom was blessed with marrying her beloved husband, my now deceased father, Myer who loved my mother more than words can say and put her on a pedestal.

I’ll always remember her beautiful smile, honesty and integrity. As mom would say, “Somebody up there loves me.” “Yes mom, he does. G-d bless you and my father Myer, together forever.”

Popular Posts